+39 0323 518321 (Telephone)
+39 0323 556513 (Fax)
+39 0323 556513 (Fax)
Broad research specialisms: Ecological interactions, Ecology of aquatic microbial communities, Experimental microbial ecology, System ecology, Antibiotic resistance in the environment and in the human gut. I work on interactions between microbes, primarily by studying bacterial coexistence in controlled environments (experimental microbial ecology).
Research interests: I like to use microbes as model organisms to test general ecological theories (community response to natural stressors, interactions prey-predators, competition and/or cooperation between species, resistance and resilience of microbial communities). I try to define trends and ecological models to apply the ecological theory to concrete problems associated with bacteria (mostly in waters, but also in soils and human gut) including microbial blooms, antibiotic resistance, and spread of pathogenic bacteria.
Research projects: Microbial coaggregation and cooperation; Impact of predation and competition on microbial model systems; Natural antibiotics resistance, and impact of AB on community resilience; Genotype-phenotype relation in aquatic bacteria; Ecological invasions of stressed systems; Limnology of large or remote lakes and of wastewaters.
- EM Eckert, A Di Cesare, MT Kettner, M Arias, D Fontaneto, HP Grossart, G Corno. Microplastics increase impact of treated wastewater on freshwater microbial community. Environmental Pollution. 234: 495-502.
- C Losasso, EM Eckert, E Mastrorilli, J Villiger, M Mancin, I Patuzzi, A Di Cesare, V Cibin, F Barrucci, J Pernthaler, G Corno, A Ricci. Assessing the Influence of Vegan, Vegetarian and Omnivore Oriented Westernized Dietary Styles on Human Gut Microbiota: A Cross Sectional Study. Frontiers in Microbiology. 9: 317.
- G Corno, C Callieri. Deconvolution models for a better understanding of natural microbial communities enumerated by flow‐cytometry. Cytometry Part A.93: 180-181.
- EM Eckert, A Di Cesare, M Coci, G Corno. Persistence of antibiotic resistance genes in large subalpine lakes: the role of anthropogenic pollution and ecological interactions. Hydrobiologia. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-017-3480-0
- A Di Cesare, EM Eckert, M Rogora, G Corno. Rainfall increases the abundance of antibiotic resistance genes within a riverine microbial community. Environmental Pollution. 226: 473-478.
- C Callieri, G Corno, M Contesini, D Fontaneto, R Bertoni. Transparent exopolymer particles (TEP) are driven by chlorophyll a and mainly confined to the euphotic zone in a deep subalpine lake. Inland Waters. 7: 118-127.
- A Turolla, R Sabatino, D Fontaneto, EM Eckert, N Colinas, G Corno, B Citterio, F Biavasco, M Antonelli, A Mauro, G Mangiaterra, A Di Cesare. Defence strategies and antibiotic resistance gene abundance in enterococci under stress by exposure to low doses of peracetic acid. Chemosphere. 185: 480-488.
- S Amalfitano, G Corno, EM Eckert, S Fazi, S Ninio, C Callieri, HP Grossart, W Eckert. Tracing particulate matter and associated microorganisms in freshwaters. Hydrobiologia. 800: 145-154.
- C Callieri, S Amalfitano, G Corno, A Di Cesare, R Bertoni, EM Eckert. The microbiome associated with two Synechococcus ribotypes at different levels of ecological interaction. Journal of Phycology. 53: 1151-1158.
- A Di Cesare, D Fontaneto, J Doppelbauer, G Corno. Fitness and recovery of bacterial communities and antibiotic resistance genes in urban wastewaters exposed to classical disinfection treatments. Environmental Science & Technology. 50: 10153-10161.
- EM Eckert, A Di Cesare, B Stenzel, D Fontaneto, G Corno. Daphnia as a refuge for an antibiotic resistance gene in an experimental freshwater community. Science of the Total Environment. 571: 77-81.
- C Callieri, S Amalfitano, G Corno, R Bertoni. Grazing-induced Synechococcus microcolony formation: experimental insights from two freshwater phylotypes. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 92: fiw154.
- A Di Cesare, C Losasso, L Barco, EM Eckert, D Conficoni, G Sarasini, G Corno, A Ricci. Diverse distribution of Toxin-Antitoxin II systems in Salmonella enterica serovars. Scientific Report 6: 28759.
- A Di Cesare, EM Eckert, G Corno. Co-selection of antibiotic and heavy metal resistance in freshwater bacteria. Journal of Limnology 75(S2): 59-66.
- A Di Cesare, EM Eckert, S D'Urso, R Bertoni, DC Gillan, R Wattiez, G Corno. Co-occurrence of integrase 1, antibiotic and heavy metal resistance genes in municipal wastewater treatment plants. Water Research 94: 208-214.
- D Conficoni, C Losasso, E Cortini, A Di Cesare, V Cibin, V Giaccone, G Corno, and A Ricci. Resistance to Biocides in Listeria monocytogenes Collected in Meat-Processing Environments. Frontiers in Microbiology 7:1627.
- A Di Cesare, EM Eckert, A. Teruggi, D Fontaneto, R Bertoni, C Callieri, G Corno. Constitutive presence of antibiotic resistance genes within the bacterial community of a large subalpine lake. Molecular Ecology 24: 3888-3900.
- M Coci, N Odermatt, MM Salcher, J Pernthaler, G Corno. Ecology and distribution of Thaumarchaea in the deep hypolimnion of Lake Maggiore. Archaea 590434: 11. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/590434.
- G Corno, I Salka, K Pohlmann, AR Hall, HP Grossart. Interspecific interactions drive chitin and cellulose degradation by aquatic microorganisms. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 76(1): 27-37.
- S Amalfitano, M Coci, G Corno, GM Luna. A microbial perspective on biological invasions in aquatic ecosystems. Hydrobiologia 746(1): 13-22.
- AR Hall, G Corno. Tetracycline modifies competitive interactions in experimental microcosms containing bacteria isolated from freshwater. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 90(1): 168-174.
- G Corno, M Coci, M Giardina, S Plechuk, F Campanile, S Stefani. Antibiotics promote aggregation within aquatic bacterial communities. Frontiers in Microbiology 5: 297.
- C Callieri, M Coci, G Corno, M Macek, B Modenutti, E Balseiro, R Bertoni. Phylogenetic diversity of nonmarine picocyanobacteria. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 85(2), 293-30.
- G Corno, J Villiger, J Pernthaler. Coaggregation in a microbial predator-prey system affects competition and trophic transfer efficiency. Ecology 94(4), 870-881.
- K Horňák, G Corno. Every Coin Has a Back Side: Invasion by Limnohabitans planktonicus Promotes the Maintenance of Species Diversity in Bacterial Communities. PloS one 7(12), e51576
- C Callieri, E Caravati, G Corno, R Bertoni. Picocyanobacterial community structure and space-time dynamics in the subalpine Lake Maggiore (N. Italy). Journal of Limnology 71(1), e9
- B Modenutti, E Balseiro, G Corno, C Callieri, R Bertoni, E Caravati. Ultraviolet radiation induces filamentation in bacterial assemblages from North Andean Patagonian lakes. Photochemistry and photobiology 86 (4), 871-881.
- R Bertoni, C Callieri, G Corno, S Rasconi, E Caravati, M Contesini. Long-term trends of epilimnetic and hypolimnetic bacteria and organic carbon in a deep holo-oligomictic lake. Hydrobiologia 644(1), 279-287.
- E Caravati, C Callieri, B Modenutti, G Corno, E Balseiro, R Bertoni. Picocyanobacterial assemblages in ultraoligotrophic Andean lakes reveal high regional microdiversity. Journal of Plankton Research 32(3), 357-366.
- C Callieri, G Corno, E Caravati, S Rasconi, M Contesini, R Bertoni. Bacteria, Archaea, and Crenarchaeota in the epilimnion and hypolimnion of a deep holo-oligomictic lake. Applied and environmental microbiology 75(22): 7298-7300.
- G Corno, BE Modenutti, C Callieri, EG Balseiro, R Bertoni, E Caravati. Bacterial diversity and morphology in deep ultraoligotrophic Andean lakes: role of UVR on vertical distribution. Limnology and Oceanography 54(4): 1098.
- G Corno, K Jürgens. Structural and functional patterns of bacterial communities in response to protist predation along an experimental productivity gradient. Environmental microbiology 10 (10), 2857-287.
- R Bertoni, C Callieri, G Corno, S Rasconi, E Caravati. Diversity of epilimnetic and hypolimnetic bacterial communities in a deep subalpine lake. Cytometry Part A 73 (1), 67-68 2008.
- G Corno, E Caravati, C Callieri, R Bertoni. Effects of predation pressure on bacterial abundance, diversity, and size-structure distribution in an oligotrophic system. Journal of Limnology 67 (2), 107-119.
- C Callieri, G Corno, E Caravati, S Galafassi, M Bottinelli, R Bertoni. Photosynthetic characteristics and diversity of freshwater Synechococcus at two depths during different mixing conditions in a deep oligotrophic lake. Journal of Limnology 66(2): 81-89.
- G Corno. Effects of nutrient availability and Ochromonas sp. predation on size and composition of a simplified aquatic bacterial community. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 58(3): 354-363.
- C Callieri, G Corno, R Bertoni. Bacterial grazing by mixotrophic flagellates and Daphnia longispina: a comparison in a fishless alpine lake. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 42(2): 127-137.
- G Corno. Are grazer-induced adaptations of bacterial abundance and morphology time dependent ? Journal of Limnology 65 (1), 35-40
- G Corno, K Jürgens. Direct and indirect effects of protist predation on population size structure of a bacterial strain with high phenotypic plasticity. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 72(1): 78-86.